It was in September 1913 that Matthew Alexander Quail and his wife Dora announced their arrival in Dromore, where they first set up shop at Bridge Street. Matthew had previously wanted to take over Ledgetts, a butcher’s shop that had been in Dromore from 1856. Dora however persuaded him otherwise.The original newspaper read as follows, ‘M.A Quail of Banbridge begs to inform the general public that having acquired those premises in Bridge Street, Dromore, next to Mr James Mercer, Draper, he has opened same as a Flesher’s shop and patrons may rely on getting the very best quality of meat, as particular attention will be given to the business.’
The shop remained in Bridge Street until 1928 when Matthew decided to rent the premises at 17 The Square from a Mr. James Poots, where it still remains today. Matthew Quail died suddenly in 1930 and his eldest son Joseph took up the reins of the business.
Joseph’s sister Dorothy, aged just fifteen, began working in the shop where she remained until her retirement at the age of seventy-five. Every Saturday Dorothy used to drive a pony and trap from Banbridge, carrying the beef to Dromore.
Joseph Quail retired in 1979 and his eldest son Desmond took over the responsibility of managing the shop, which has undergone modernisation works over the years.
Desmond’s son-in-law, Philip, now manages the shop in Dromore. He is proud to continue to serve the community of Dromore and to develop the standard of fine produce set and maintained by Matthew, Joseph and Desmond Quail. Our dedicated staff, the quality of our food and the ability to adapt to an ever-changing consumer market drives us. We are committed to ensuring the Quail’s name, synonymous with quality and excellent, continues.